Search This Blog

UPDATED ON MONDAYS

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

To write or not to write

For a while last month I toyed with the idea of giving up writing. Even the thought of doing it scared me. I thought about what my life would be without writing and didn't like it.

I took some time off from writing, read 12 books, and took a ton of pictures with my new camera. Now I'm ready to get back to writing.

Why would I consider it?
  • It's hard
  • Time consuming
  • Thankless
  • My work will never be perfect
  • I may never get published
  • Rejection stinks

Why won't I give it up?
  • I love the new worlds and people I meet
  • I love the process
  • I may get published
  • I think about writing even when I'm not
  • There is always something to write
  • The excitement of a new story
  • The joy of a finished story

How about you? What makes you keep writing or do anything that's hard?

3 comments:

  1. Wahoo! I'm glad you won't give up. Writing is tough but the more you write the better you get. That's what I've learned. Sites like Verla Kay, Absolute Write, and all the agent, editor, and writer blogger sites really help to motivate me and keep me going.

    It's a little easier when you know everyone is going through the same thing. And it's so cool to read about someone who finally gets an agent, or sells their book, or gets an award, or even makes the bestseller list!

    Someday it will be us, if we keep going. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks I needed that. Other writer/agent blogs really keep me going and I love to hear about success. I can't wait to hear yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I got so wrapped up in my own little misery, I didn't even know you were thinking of quitting. Now I'm relieved; the danger has passed!

    Do you have my email address? s.e.oshields@gmail.com
    Or if you have Skype, find me at s.e.oshields (er...I think.)

    ReplyDelete